Self assessment tax return form SA100; is the latest
UK residents must file a tax return
- If any of the following apply:
- HM Revenue & Customs request.
- Property rentals, including loss making or break-even property rentals up to tax year 2015/16.
- Property rentals, 2016/17 onwards profits in excess of the Micro entrepreneurs allowance £.
- Self employed sole trader income, including loss making or break-even commercial activities up to tax year 2015/16.
- Self employed sole trader 2016/17 onwards profits in excess of the Micro entrepreneurs allowance £.
- Partnership - if you are in a business partnership.
- Overseas; offshore; income arising abroad including interest on bank accounts.
- Capital gains realized from sales; including capital gains abroad.
- Capital losses - you need to make a claim of Capital losses to have them available for setoff against future capital gains.
- Director of a company
- unless both:
- charitable company and
- you derive no income.
- Annual income will exceed £100,000 in total.
- Trust or settlement income.
You may need to file a tax return
- If either of the following apply:
- Bankruptcy or Individual Voluntary Arrangement IVA: for the year in which you were declared bankrupt or entered into a voluntary arrangement IVA.
- Receiving Child Benefit if you or your partner's annual income is more than 50,000.
New high penalties apply even to nil returns
You need to check NOW with HMRC if you are not sure.